Very informative post and authentic references.
you gave the reference of PIC/S guideline on Equipment Qualification, anyway there is no PIC/S guideline exists typically on Equipment Qualification, Yes PIC/S covers Validation and Qualification in PE 009-7 (Annexes) 1 September 2007, Annex 15 Qualification and validation.
11. Installation qualification (IQ) should be performed on new or modified facilities,
systems and equipment.
12. IQ should include, but not be limited to the following:
a) installation of equipment, piping, services and instrumentation checked
to current engineering drawings and specifications;
b) collection and collation of supplier operating and working instructions
and maintenance requirements;
c) calibration requirements;
d) verification of materials of construction.[/color]
Point B emphesize on operating and working instructions and maintenance requirement, which covers safety features of equipment as well.
13. Operational qualification (OQ) should follow Installation qualification.
14. OQ should include, but not be limited to the following:
a) tests that have been developed from knowledge of processes, systems
b) tests to include a condition or a set of conditions encompassing upper
and lower operating limits, sometimes referred to as “worst case”
15. The completion of a successful Operational qualification should allow the
finalisation of calibration, operating and cleaning procedures, operator training
and preventative maintenance requirements. It should permit a formal "release"
of the facilities, systems and equipment.[/color]
Hope this will clear the concept.